KNOX COUNTY -- A Gray man who was arrested in December 2018 after police say he attempted to shoot at the officers had his jury trial moved to next month.

Jason William Marsee's attorneys were present in the Knox County Circuit court Tuesday representing their client during his last pretrial conference. Marsee's original jury trial date was set for next week on Sept. 10. However, after a conversation between the judge and attorneys on both sides, it was agreed that the trial would be pushed back to October 4.

Marsee faces charges of three counts of attempted murder, two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, menacing, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana, possession of a radio that sends and/or receives police messages and possession of drug paraphernalia.

On Dec. 10, 2018, law enforcement officials with the Kentucky State Police and Knox County Sheriff's Department were dispatched to a KY 930 residence in the Himyar community to investigate an assault complaint, where officers attempted to make contact with Marsee by knocking on the front door of the residence and identifying themselves.

According to the police report of the incident, a female individual inside a bedroom of the home looked out the window before quickly covering the blinds before Marsee fired eight rounds from a .22 caliber rifle through the side of the house in the direction of the officers.

In firing the shots, KSP Trooper Sidney Wagner was nearly struck, the report said.

Officers took cover until Marsee came out of the residence and threw the firearm in the yard, at which point Marsee was taken into custody.

A nearby residence was struck by two rounds when the shots were fired, one of which hit a room of the home where two residents were sleeping at the time, according to the report.

A search of Marsee's home was then performed, where officers said they located a surveillance monitor displaying the front driveway where the police cruisers were parked, as well as several firearms, a police scanner and marijuana.

Marsee currently remains jailed in the Knox County Detention Center under a $100,000 cash bond.

React to this story:


Recommended for you