By Fred Petke / Staff Writer

Plans for an addition at Oak Grove Elementary are going back to the drawing board.

The Whitley County Board of Education unanimously voted not to accept the architectural drawings for the addition after the projected costs came in about $500,000 above expectations, Superintendent Lonnie Anderson said.

The addition would add 10 classrooms, an administrative area and a multi-purpose room, the latter of which would be open and available to the public.

During a special board meeting Thursday afternoon, the board members made a number of suggestions and recommendations to the architects to cut some of the costs, including using district employees to perform some of the work, Anderson said.

The multi-purpose room will also shrink by approximately 1,100 square feet, Anderson said. The classrooms for Kindergarten, preschool and Head Start will not change, he said.

Based on the presented preliminary plans, the addition was estimated to cost $4.1 million, Anderson said. The district’s budget for the work was $3.6 million.

The project will add 25 percent more classrooms to the school outside the Corbin city limits. Principal Regina Foley said previously that the school has simply run out of room for its 680 students, faculty and staff.

Anderson said he was confident that the architects, Ross-Tarrant, could make the necessary changes and meet the district’s budget. The district has used the company on numerous projects during the last 15 years.

The board also postponed acting upon related funding documents for the project. The revised plans are scheduled to be presented to the board during its May meeting, Anderson said. The project could be bid later this summer and construction begin as early as this fall.



Fred Petke can be reached at fpetke@

thetimestribune.com.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video

Recommended for you