Corbin man's defense hopes to exclude confession in murder case

WHITLEY COUNTY — Attorneys for a Corbin man accused of killing three people, one of whom was pregnant, in February 2018 are hoping to exclude statements given to police about the alleged incident.

Paul Brock, 38, appeared in Whitley Circuit Court for a pretrial conference Monday, where his attorney, Andrea Kendall, argued on behalf of a motion to suppress what had been previously filed by Brock’s defense team. According to Kendall, the motion specifically concerns Brock’s interview with police in which he allegedly confessed to the killings.

Further, the motion alleges that Brock was possibly intoxicated or impaired at the time the statements were given judging by his behavior during the video interview.

“He is often slurring his speech,” said Kendall, speaking about the interview. “His mannerisms are not always what you would believe to be socially acceptable.”

For that reason, Brock’s defense team believes his confession may have been coerced by police.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Ronnie Bowling said that he would not object to the motion, but felt that it did not properly detail what defense attorneys were hoping to accomplish.

“I don’t think the motion is definitive enough,” said Bowling. “I think we should at least be put on notice so we can be prepared for a hearing.”

A supplementary motion will likely be filed by Brock’s attorneys to further address their intent, though Judge Dan Ballou still ruled to schedule a hearing for Sept. 4 at 11 a.m. to allow for the issue to be discussed further and argued in full by defense attorneys.

On Feb. 17, 2018, Mary Jackson, 74, and her pregnant granddaughter, Tiffany Byers, 33, were found shot to death at an Ellison Street residence in Corbin. Byers’ younger brother, Justin Collins, was allegedly in a bedroom of the home at the time the shooting began, who jumped out of a bedroom window and fled to a neighbor’s home to call 911.

Brock was quickly developed as the main person of interest in the killings by the Corbin Police Department.

When Brock was initially brought in for questioning the day following the shooting, officers did not believe there was enough evidence to warrant placing him under arrest, so he was released. He was brought back in later that day, where police said that Brock admitted to knowing Tiffany and her husband, Aaron Byers, 45, also allegedly stating that he had taken Aaron Byers to the residence on the day of the incident, but that he stayed in his truck while Aaron Byers went inside the home.

He was arrested following the second interview and charged with three counts of murder.

The body of Aaron Byers was found Feb. 19, 2018, in a shallow grave in a wooded area off Corinth Cemetery Road. At that time, Brock was then charged with a fourth count of murder and tampering with physical evidence.

He was indicted in April 2018 by a Whitley County grand jury, formally charging him with three counts of murder, first-degree fetal homicide, tampering with physical evidence and first-degree persistent felony offender.

No trial date has yet been set in the case.

Brock currently remains jailed in the Whitley County Detention Center under a $1 million cash bond.

React to this story:


Recommended for you