On June 17, 1882 Dan T. Chestnut founded The Corbin Enterprise. This weekly newspaper became the forerunner of the Corbin Daily Tribune and Sunday Times and what is now known as the Times-Tribune.

The oldest complete file of the newspaper dates back to 1923.

In 1905 TL Metcalfe bought the newspaper and is credited with bringing the world of journalism to Corbin. Metcalfe sold the newspaper to W.A. and J.J. Price who eventually sold the business to Fred Novels in 1918 for $1,650.

The newspaper was bought and sold several times over the next few years until John L. Crawford purchased the business in 1928. The Crawford name would for a long time become synonymous with the Corbin Times-Tribune.

In 1928, J. Springer Robinson, from Harlan, bought into the newspaper as did James Crawford in 1930.

The newspaper did not change hands again until 1982 when the business partners sold the Times-Tribune to Thomson, Inc. who owned it until 1994 when American Publishing bought the business. The Times-Tribune is now owned by Newspaper Holding, Inc., the company that purchased the newspaper in 1999.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you