By Becky Killian / Editor
A man using a cutting torch to fashion a burning barrel was thrown an estimated 15 feet after acetone fumes ignited Thursday at a scrap metal business.
The accident happened about 11:30 a.m. at Gray Metal Company, located at 6150 KY 1232, as part-owner Mike Cima, 58, worked with the barrel.
Giulio Cima, 59, who is also a part-owner of the business, said the cutting torch never cut through the barrel — it just turned the metal “cherry red” and that’s when the explosion occurred.
Another company employee said the blast could be heard up to 500 yards away.
Giulio Cima said he heard the explosion and ran to his brother, who was unconscious and had shallow breathing.
“It was a scary time there for a couple hours,” Giulio Cima said.
Rescuers were called and, by the time the ambulance arrived, Mike Cima had regained consciousness. He was taken to Baptist Regional Medical Center for treatment.
The business was closed as family members left for the hospital.
Mike Cima suffered a cut on his chin and one hand had cuts and was swollen, but he suffered no broken bones or serious injuries in the accident.
After three hours, Mike Cima was released from the hospital.
By Becky Killian / Editor
Pearl Harbor Day observance
Saturday afternoon saw an observance of Pearl Harbor Day in front of the Whitley County Courthouse in Williamsburg.
- We Remember
- Local News
- Local Sports
Patriots complete road to Rome with 34-27 overtime win
The University of the Cumberlands (UC) football team came into their NAIA FCS Semifinal round matchup against Carroll College looking for a first in school history.
Bell County knocks off Corbin, 83-82, in CFIT Championship
Saturday's championship game of the Cumberland Falls Invitational Tournament was perhaps a postseason preview of things to come as two of the 13th Region's top girls teams met for the first time this season at Gilliam Gymnasium.
- Patriots complete road to Rome with 34-27 overtime win
SOAR-ing in Eastern Kentucky
By the time many of you read this, I’ll be traveling to southeastern Kentucky, on my way to the SOAR Summit scheduled for Monday in Pikeville (at least if the weather cooperates).
- SOAR-ing in Eastern Kentucky
Stacie Eichinger brings out her "Walk 4 Courage" buggy and beads she's selling outside the West Knox Volunteer Fire and Rescue station Wednesday, to pose with the crew. Those in the picture include Chief Darryl Baker and his son.
Raising money for ill children, Stacie sets foot at West Knox firehouse
Moments after Stacie Eichinger got to the West Knox Volunteer Fire and Rescue station on a warm Wednesday afternoon, priority one was to lose the shoes.
- Raising money for ill children, Stacie sets foot at West Knox firehouse
Ky. needs to enact smoke-free law
As president of the Kentucky Society for Respiratory Care and a board member of the Kentucky Rural Health Association, I urge state lawmakers to enact a smoke-free law, which would greatly benefit the health of Kentuckians.
- Ky. needs to enact smoke-free law
Authors Steve Vest (left) and James B. Goode (right) discuss the making of the holiday book, "Kentucky's Twelve Days of Christmas."
Season’s Readings: Christmas book tour stops in Corbin
For an hour Monday, voices filled with the written words of Christmases past filtered through the Corbin Public Library.
- Season’s Readings: Christmas book tour stops in Corbin