TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY

June 19, 2014

Corbin apartment fire caused by meth lab

3-year-old treated for chemical inhalation

By Jeff Noble
The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — Three persons are in jail after an early Wednesday morning fire at a Corbin apartment that was caused by a meth lab.

The fire occurred inside Apartment 49 of the Creekside Apartments on Jones Street in Corbin.

The three arrested — two women and a man — and a three-year-old girl were taken to Baptist Health Corbin hospital where they were treated.

Corbin Police said their treatment was not related to the fire, but from inhalation of chemicals from the meth lab.

After her treatment at the hospital, the three-year-old girl was released to her grandfather.

Before going to the hospital, the three adults arrested were decontaminated by a crew from the Corbin Fire Department. After they were treated at the hospital, the three were released to police.

Edward Cosgrove, 25, who was living in the apartment at the time of the fire, was arrested along with Norma Brock, 28, and Barbara Morrison, 46. All three are from Corbin.

Cosgrove and Brock were each charged with first-degree criminal mischief, first-degree manufacturing of methamphetamine, first-degree possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine), first-degree wanton endangerment, tampering with physical evidence, and third-degree controlled substance endangerment to a child.

Police said Cosgrove was in the process of being evicted from the apartment.

Morrison, who is the mother of the three-year-old girl who was in the apartment, was charged with third-degree controlled substance endangerment to a child.

All three are jailed in the Knox County Detention Center in Barbourville.

The incident happened just before 4 a.m. The Corbin Fire Department was the first at the scene at 3:58 a.m., with Corbin Police arriving to the scene at 4:02 a.m.

“The meth lab caught fire and burnt up the kitchen. …The fire started on the wall by the back door. Then someone tried to throw the meth lab in the sink and tried to put the fire out with water and that doesn’t work. All that did was spread the fire,” said Maj. Rob Jones, Public Relations Officer for the Corbin Police Department.

He added that while the immediate area has been cleaned up, the apartment itself has to be completely cleaned up and checked by the Knox County Health Department before anyone can move back inside.

Police were back at the scene late Wednesday morning and afternoon, talking to neighbors in the apartment complex and continuing their investigation.

One neighbor who lives nearby who wished to remain anonymous, said traffic coming through the area in the middle of the night was plentiful.

“I found a needle over here a few months ago,” pointing to a nearby bush. “I have four children, and I know it’s everywhere, but it’s awful. When you have small children, and there’s an apartment complex with riffraff going through, it’s scary,” the neighbor pointed out Wednesday afternoon.