CORBIN — By Jeff Noble / Staff Writer
A Tri-County doctor ran in the Boston Marathon Monday when the explosions occurred, but he is safe.
Dr. Ronald S. Dubin texted his office at Kentucky Orthopedic Care in Corbin around 2:40 p.m., giving office manager Karen Reese the news that he was OK.
"Dr. Dubin was in the race. He ran it, but he's safe. I just got the message from him," Reese said in a phone interview.
As of 4:06 p.m. Monday, the Associated Press confirmed two persons are dead and 22 injured in the blasts.,
Dubin was in Boston for the running of one of the most renowned road races in the world, the Boston Marathon, when the Associated Press reported two explosions shattered the finish of the race Monday afternoon, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured, while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.
Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.
Neither race officials, nor public officials, could immediately estimate the number or degree of injuries.
One Tri-County man familiar with running road races expressed shock and anger about today's explosions in Boston.
"It's horrible that people waste their time and efforts on doing something destructive, instead of doing something good," said Tom Smith, owner of The Runner's Shop in Corbin.
— Associated Press contributed to this story
Look for updates and comments from Dr. Dubin in Tuesday's edition of the Times-Tribune.