By Becky Killian / Editor
A lightning strike was reported as the cause of a gas line fire Sunday at a home in Cardinal Heights, according to West Knox Fire and Rescue Chief Darryl Baker.
The fire at a split-level home along Meadow Brook Drive was reported about 6 p.m. by the homeowners. When firefighters arrived, they found fire shooting from a hole in the yard as well as near a gas meter on the corner of the home.
Firefighters kept dousing the flames near the house with water while Delta Gas employees responded.
It took about 45 minutes to get the blaze under control. Baker’s department remained at the scene for about two hours.
The fire did spread to the home’s lower level, which suffered the most damage. The rest of the home has smoke damage.
Baker said he was told a boy was in the lower level of the home when the lightning strike occurred. The force of the strike blew the boy off the couch, although he wasn’t injured.
It is unclear whether the lightning may have first struck a tree in the yard, the gas line or the metal gas line tracer used by the gas company to detect the location of gas lines, Baker said. The strike did ignite the line in several places.
The gas and electricity to the home were disconnected during the fire fight, so the family that resides at the house wasn’t able to stay there Sunday.
Baker said he was told the family had only just moved to the house and had been there for about a week.
Before his crew left the scene, Baker said he saw neighbors come to the family’s aid in “swarms.” The neighbors brought plywood to the damaged home and helped put the boards in place to block a window and a wall.
Eighteen West Knox firefighters and four from Lily Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire. Baker said Lily was called to help provide water.
No firefighters were injured in the blaze.
Delta Gas and the Knox County Sheriff’s Department also responded.
Sunday’s fire was the second Baker’s department responded to over the weekend.
The first fire occured Saturday night on Standard Avenue in Corbin.
Baker said an empty house that is for sale was destroyed.
Although the cause of Saturday’s fire isn’t known, Baker said it isn’t considered suspicious.
By Becky Killian / Editor
Twin girls Brooklyn and Brandy Clontz sit on Santa’s lap at the Laurel County Public Library’s annual Holiday Kickoff.
Sharing the Spirit
The Laurel County Public Library held its Holiday Kickoff Thursday from 3:30-7 p.m. The celebration included children 10 and under getting pictures taken with Santa, refreshments and performances by pianist Earlene Vance and the Children’s Theatre of Cincinatti.
- Sharing the Spirit
- Local News
Letter discussed by airport board
Negotiations between the Williamsburg-Whitley County Airport Board and one of the airport’s private tenants appeared to be going along smoothly Thursday night — but a few sentences from the board’s vice-chairman and those negotiations came to a halt.
- Hearings continued in murder case
- Letter discussed by airport board
- Local Sports
The Corbin Lady Redhounds returned to action in their second round match of the Cumberland Falls Invitational Tournament. Corbin entered the contest riding off an 86-point, hard-fought scoring effort in Wednesday's victory over Harlan.
There was really no question North Laurel would make short work of young Riverside Christian. The Jaguars picked up an 82-25 win Thursday with a running clock starting late in the first half.
- Rolling Along
School-choice critics intimidate but won’t debate
Ken Wilber wrote: “Most of us are only willing to call 5% of our present information into question (at) any one point.” Then there is the closed-minded leadership of the Kentucky Education Association, Jefferson County Teachers Association, Kentucky School Boards Association and Kentucky Association of School Superintendents who, when it comes to school choice, won’t even question that much.
- School-choice critics intimidate but won’t debate
Stacie Eichinger brings out her "Walk 4 Courage" buggy and beads she's selling outside the West Knox Volunteer Fire and Rescue station Wednesday, to pose with the crew. Those in the picture include Chief Darryl Baker and his son.
Raising money for ill children, Stacie sets foot at West Knox firehouse
Moments after Stacie Eichinger got to the West Knox Volunteer Fire and Rescue station on a warm Wednesday afternoon, priority one was to lose the shoes.
- Raising money for ill children, Stacie sets foot at West Knox firehouse
Ky. needs to enact smoke-free law
As president of the Kentucky Society for Respiratory Care and a board member of the Kentucky Rural Health Association, I urge state lawmakers to enact a smoke-free law, which would greatly benefit the health of Kentuckians.
- Ky. needs to enact smoke-free law
Authors Steve Vest (left) and James B. Goode (right) discuss the making of the holiday book, "Kentucky's Twelve Days of Christmas."
Season’s Readings: Christmas book tour stops in Corbin
For an hour Monday, voices filled with the written words of Christmases past filtered through the Corbin Public Library.
- Season’s Readings: Christmas book tour stops in Corbin