Little League fun facts
1. Founded in 1939 by Carl Stotz with three teams, each with 10 players.
2. The first three teams were sponsored by Lycoming Dairy, Lundy Lumber and Jumbo Pretzel, starting the tradition of local businesses supporting and sponsoring Little League teams, just like today.
3. Headquartered in South Williamsport, Pa., with five regional offices in the United States and four internationally.
4. 2.4 million boys and girls play Little League worldwide.
5. Little Leaguers range in age from 4 to 18.
6. Little League is played in 83 countries and in all 50 states.
7. In 1948, U.S. Rubber, the maker of Keds, became Little League’s first national sponsor. The partnership led to the development of rubber-molded cleats, still used today.
8. Dugout, the official mascot of Little League, was designed by Walt Disney Imagineers, and introduced in 1985.
9. 47 individuals are members of the Little League Hall of Excellence.
10. Former Little League President and CEO and current Little League International Board of Directors Member, Dr. Creighton J. Hale helped develop the double-ear flap batter’s helmet, catcher’s helmet, chest protector with throat guard and the non-wood baseball bat.