, Corbin, KY

October 14, 2013

Cardinals blanked

Southwestern picks up first win of the season with win over South


CORBIN — By Denis House / The Endzone Staff

SOMERSET — Southwestern Pulaski came out on fire Friday night against the South Laurel Cardinals from the opening drive and never looked back, rolling to a 51-0 win.

For the Warriors, it was their first win of the season after opening 0-7. South Laurel coach Matt Rhymer knew coming in that Southwestern was better than its record showed.

"I told the radio before the game that I don't look at records, I look at film," Rhymer said. "They (Southwestern) are good. They executed well, ran the ball hard, and threw the ball efficiently when they needed to."

Rhymer also hopes his team learns from the way Southwestern played.

"I hope we learned a lesson," Rhymer said. "You can get down but you are never out."

On this night, South Laurel (2-5) was out early, trailing 19-0 after one and 44-0 at the half. The Cards didn't pick up their first first down until midway through the third quarter. It would be their only first down of the game.

Meanwhile, Southwestern (1-7) just plain ran over the Cardinal defense, breaking big run after big run from either Logan Campisano or Skylar Stigall. Campisano would find the end zone three times in the first half while Stigall scored twice on runs of 61 and 63 yards.

When the Warriors weren't running, quarterback Brandon Pruitt hooked up with Devon Baker twice for scores, one of 14 yards and the other a 68-yarder.

"Our tackling was atrocious," Rhymer said. "We weren't getting off the blocks. And our blocking took a step back."

The Warriors took the opening kickoff and drove 53 yards in 10 plays, capped off by a 14-yard touchdown pass from Pruitt to Baker to make it 7-0. Southwestern converted one key fourth down to keep the drive alive.

On South's first possession, the Cards failed to move the ball and lined up to punt on fourth-and-8 from the 30. But punter (and quarterback) Jonathan Jenkins tried to pass for the first down but the ball was picked off by Zack Coggins, giving the Warriors the ball on their own 39.

It took just one play from scrimmage to score when Stigall broke several tackles en route to a 61-yard score. The point after failed, leaving the Warriors leading, 13-0.

After another three and out for South, Southwestern scored again, this time on a 7-yard run by Campisano, and with 49 seconds left in the first quarter, the lead was now 19-0.

South's misery continued in the second quarter, as Pruitt again hooked up with Baker, this time for 68-yards, and with 9:37 left before the half, the lead had ballooned to 26-0.

Another three and out by South led to another Southwestern score, this time when Stigall broke another long run, this one of 63-yards to push the lead to 32-0.

South fumbled away its next possession, and the Warriors took full advantage when Campisano scored from 22 yards out to make it 38-0 with four minutes left in the half.

Another Cardinal fumble, this time of the kickoff, was recovered by the Warriors on the 20. Campisano took the handoff on first down and rumbled 20 yards to pay dirt to make it 44-0 as the clock continued to run.

"I told them at the half there was no easy way to handle this," Rhymer said.

The final score took place midway through the fourth quarter when David Young bulled his way in from one-yard out to cap off a 17-play drive that took most of the time off the second half clock. With the point after good, the final score read 51-0 in favor of the Warriors.