, Corbin, KY

October 7, 2013

Corbin falls

Wayne County remains unbeaten, hands Redhounds first loss


CORBIN — By Les Dixon / The Endzone Staff

WAYNE COUNTY — Corbin and Wayne County hooked up in a classic heavyweight match-up as both teams took the other's best shot before seeing Tyler Guffey’s seven-yard touchdown pass to Alan Brown break a 28-all tie with 6:59 remaining in the fourth quarter, leading to a 35-28 Cardinals win.

The seven-point victory improved Wayne County to a perfect 7-0 on the season while Corbin dropped its first game of the season, falling to 5-1.

The win also puts the Cardinals in the district driver’s seat at 2-0 after seeing Wayne County pick up wins over district heavyweights Bell County and Corbin in consecutive weeks. The loss drops the Redhounds to 1-1 in district play.

Guffey came up big for Wayne County the entire game, passing for two touchdowns while rushing for two scores in the win.

Both teams stalled on offense during their respective opening drives, but Wayne County took a 7-0 lead with 5:47 remaining in the first quarter after a Guffey touchdown pass to Jason Perkins.

Corbin answered a few plays later thanks to a 50-yard touchdown run by Jake Coppock. Taylor Waddle added the two-point conversion, giving the Redhounds an 8-7 edge with 4:58 remaining in the opening quarter.

The lead continued to change hands when Junior Ruiz scored from 16-yards out on his first carry of the game, giving his team a 14-8 edge. Corbin responded by tying the game at 14 apiece with 7:20 left in the second quarter after a five-yard TD run by Cai Jackson.

The Redhounds took a 20-14 lead with 2:16 remaining in the first half when quarterback Corey Taylor hit AJ Moore with a 40-yard touchdown strike.

But just when it looked as if Corbin would be taking a six-point lead into the locker room at halftime, Wayne County answered a minute later as Guffey’s 11-yard touchdown run gave his team a 21-20 lead.

Guffey extended his team’s lead to 28-20 with 7:02 remaining in the third quarter by scoring from 10-yards out, but Steve Jewell’s squad tied the game up at 28 apiece minutes later after Coppock scored from two yards out. Taylor’s completed pass to Moore in the endzone added the two-point conversion, as Corbin tied the game at 28.

Wayne County took the lead for good with 6:59 left in regulation after Guffey hit Brown with a seven-yard touchdown pass, giving the Cardinals a 35-28 lead.

The Redhounds failed to score on their next two possessions, and had the ball with 2:38 remaining in the contest, but two consecutive fumbles and a penalty led to a fourth and 29 situation that they failed to convert, allowing Wayne County to take over and run out the clock.