, Corbin, KY

September 16, 2013


Corbin off to its best start since 2009 after 55-7 blowout win over Danville


CORBIN — By Les Dixon / The Endzone Staff

CORBIN — Steve Jewell’s Corbin Redhounds are off to their best start since winning its first five games of the 2009 season after upending Danville with ease, 55-7.

Corbin improved to 4-0 on the season, as the Redhound offense clicked on all cylinders during the 48-point win while handing Danville its worst loss dating back to a 47-0 loss to Boyle County on Sept 1, 2000.

Jake Coppock dominated running with the ball, finishing with 98 yards on seven carries, while Corey Taylor turned in a solid effort from behind center., finishing with 252 yards passing and two touchdowns. Taylor Waddle continued his impressive offensive display by scoring running with the ball, catching a TD and on special teams.

With the offense clicking, it didn’t take Corbin long to get on the scoreboard.

The Redhounds opened the game with a 63-yard screen pass from Corey Taylor to Jake Coppock, as the junior tailback made it to the two-yard line before teammate Brian Nantz scored his first touchdown of the season to give Corbin a 7-0 edge just minutes into the game.

The Redhounds continued to dominate on their second drive of the game, thanks to a 26-yard run from Coppock combined with a 40-yard touchdown run by Taylor Waddle. Waddle’s score increased Corbin’s lead to 14-0 with 7:42 remaining in the first quarter.

Danville’s woes in stopping the Corbin ground game carried over during the Redhounds’ third possession with Coppock breaking loose and found paydirt from 60 yards out. Corbin added the two-point conversion, and saw its lead extend to 22-0 with 5:42 remaining in the first quarter.

Coppock dominated the game’s first 12 minutes, finishing with 63 yards receiving and 86 yards rushing.

The Redhounds reached into their bag of tricks early in the second half after seeing Austin O’Neil intercept a pass. Waddle threw a lateral to Taylor, who hit a wide-open Cai Jackson for a 31-yard touchdown, increasing their team’s lead to 29-0 with 11:06 left in the first half. Taylor and Jackson hooked up earlier in the offensive series for a 37-yard connection.

The Admirals finally got on the scoreboard with 7:23 remaining in the first quarter by taking advantage of an unsportsmanlike penalty, as Jawan Gray scored with a six-yard run, cutting his team’s deficit to 29-7.

Corbin didn’t waste any time answering Danville’s scoring drive. The Redhounds marched down the field, thanks to a big pass gain from Taylor to Harrison Reedy which set up a four-yard touchdown run by Coppock.

Taylor finished the first half connecting on 3-of-3 pass attempts for 166 yards.

Coppock’s second TD of the game gave the Redhounds a commanding 36-7 advantage at the 4:17 mark of the second quarter.

Corbin's trickery carried over a few minutes later when Coppock caught the ball on a Danville punt and handed the ball off to Waddle, who raced untouched down the sideline, scoring from 45-yards out to give the Redhounds a 42-7 lead with 1:35 remaining in the first half.

Taylor continued his impressive night by completing two more passes during Corbin's first drive of the second half, including a 59-yard touchdown pass to Waddle, giving the Redhounds a 49-7 edge with 10:21 left in the third quarter.

Jewell's squad scored a late touchdown in the second half to pick up the 48-point win.