, Corbin, KY

November 11, 2013

Defense rules

Corbin’s defense steps up during 24-10 comeback win over Henry County, Corbin, KY

CORBIN — By Les Dixon For the Times-Tribune

Steve Jewell's Corbin Redhounds started slowly on offense, but once again their defensive play led the way during their 24-10 win over Henry County during first round action of the Class 3A playoffs.

After being limited to only 117 yards of total offense in the first half while trailing 10-3, Corbin tailback Jake Coppock took matters in his own hands, scoring two touchdowns during the second half, leading his team to a 14-point victory.

After allowing 114 rushing yards to Henry County in the first half, the Redhound defense stepped up and dominated the game's final 16 minutes, limiting the Wildcats to only nine yards rushing.

Jewell's squad finished the game with 285 yards on the ground, as Coppock led the way with a 142-yard, two touchdown performance while Brian Nantz ran for 67 yards and Cai Jackson finished with 53 yards.

The win will set up a second round rematch with district foe Wayne County. The Cardinals defeated LaRue County Friday and remained unbeaten at 11-0 on the season.

The two teams met on Oct. 4 with Wayne County coming away with a hard-fought 35-28 win over the Redhounds.

After stopping Corbin on its first drive of the game, Henry County withstood 35 yards of penalties, and managed to still score with Mason Fish knocking down a 25-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead with 8:44 remaining in the first quarter.

It looked as if the Wildcats were going to add on to their lead after recovering a fumble.

Henry County took over on Corbin's 20-yard line, and moved the ball down to the eight-yard line before the Redhound defense turned in a solid defensive effort, stopping the Wildcats on a fourth and five situation.

The defensive stop led to Corbin's first points of the game, as impressive runs by Nantz and Coppock (rushed for 43 yards in the first half) set up a 25-yard field goal by Tulio Canineu with 8:25 left in the second quarter.

Both teams' defenses stepped up for the next eight minutes until Henry County took advantage of a Redhound penalty, as Fish cashed in a few plays later, scoring from 17 yards out, giving the Wildcats a 10-3 lead with :18 remaining in the first half.

Corbin came out in the second half, and turned things up a notch on both sides of the ball.

After holding Henry County to a three-and-out to begin the third quarter, the Redhounds marched 55 yards down field, as Coppock broke loose for a 15-yard touchdown run to tie things up at 10 apiece with 4:23 left in the third quarter.

Corbin's defense forced a turnover on the Wildcats' next possession and Coppock made them pay by adding a five-yard touchdown run, as the Redhounds captured their first lead of the game at 17-10 with just two seconds left in the third quarter.

Jewell's squad took control of the game with 6:30 remaining in regulation as Jackson's touchdown run gave his team a comfortable 24-10 lead.