, Corbin, KY

October 14, 2013

Jackets cruise

Red-hot Williamsburg picks up 47-0 shut out win over Campbellsville


CORBIN — By John Stepp For The Endzone

The more than two-hour bus ride from Williamsburg to Campbellsville took longer than the actual game between the Yellow Jackets and the Eagles on Friday night, as the running clock was in place early, with Williamsburg rolling to a 47-0 win.

It was the first district game of the season for the two teams, and the Jackets left no question as to who is the clear cut favorite to win the district crown.

“What about these kids tonight? This is such a long trip for us and is only the second time we have ever won over here,” said Williamsburg Coach Jerry Herron. “This was the first game toward getting that first seed in the district and we came over here and took care of business.”

The game marked the first time the Jackets have played a Class A opponent all season, as Herron’s squad has faced some of the best teams in the area. The schedule paid off for Williamsburg, as they made the Eagles look like the inferior team from the opening kickoff.

Junior wide receiver Skylar Griffith returned the opening kick for a touchdown, before being called back for a penalty, forcing Campbellsville to re-kick. Griffith took the ensuing kick all the way down to the one-yard line, and running back Chase Lowrie punched it in on the next play to give Williamsburg the early 6-0 lead just 30-seconds into the game.

After the Jackets’ defense forced a punt, junior wideout Corey Shelton took the kick 60 yards for a score, pushing the lead to 13-0 with 8:19 left in the first quarter. The defense forced another three-and-out, and the Jackets added their third touchdown of the quarter, this time a pass from senior Dalton Sizemore to Shelton. The Jackets led 20-0 at the end of the first.

“The kids really played hard. We have some bumps and bruises, but I loved the way they’re running down the field and making plays,” said Herron. “I’m pleased with that. I told them I wanted them to look me in the eye after the game and tell me they did everything they could to get the one seed tonight.”

In the second quarter, Williamsburg picked up right where they left off. This time it was Griffith who fielded a Campbellsville punt and returned it 65 yards for the score, giving the Jackets a 26-0 lead midway through the second quarter. Lowrie would add another rushing touchdown in the quarter, extending the Williamsburg lead to 34-0 heading into the half.

“Our kids battled and were doing things right. Our line protected, Coach Hatcher’s defense was great, and we made big plays all over the field,” Herron said. “Special teams were a big difference tonight. I’m very pleased with the kids and the staff we have here. We’re blessed to have the people we have.”

The Jackets had no problem keeping the Eagles off the scoreboard in the second half as the clock continued to run and Williamsburg continued to dominate the game.

Junior fullback Jefferson Patrick scored the Jackets’ only touchdown in the third quarter with a three-yard run, pushing their lead to 34-0 with just a minute left in the period. Sophomore wide receiver Alex Patterson would score the last touchdown of the night for Williamsburg with 4:50 left in the game, ending the final score at 47-0 in favor of the Jackets.

With two more district games slated on the schedule, Herron is looking for more of the same out of his squad over the next couple of weeks.

“We’re going to continue working on the things we’ve been doing. We’re going to make sure our backups are ready to play and work on our depth. We run 18-20 kids on defense and Coach Hatcher does a great job with that,” said Herron. “We also have to get some more kids some reps at wide receiver. And that’s what I’m happiest with tonight – the way our second unit stepped up and played.”

But as for the Jackets’ first district win, Herron summed it up by saying — “The road to Bowling Green started tonight,” he said.