, Corbin, KY

March 7, 2013

Hearing continued for Tenn. woman involved in W’burg factory bomb threat

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — By John L. Ross

Staff Writer

A Jellico, Tenn. woman facing felony charges in connection with a bomb threat against Williamsburg Plastics was supposed to have her preliminary hearing in Whitley County District Court Wednesday, however, that hearing was continued to Monday, March 11, according to court records.

Amanda Rogers, AKA Amanda Johnson, 30, was brought handcuffed into the courtroom Wednesday, but was soon shuffled back into the court holding area for jailed defendants.

Her attorney is Public Defender Ron Findell.

Nothing was said concerning her case, although she was listed on Wednesday’s docket.

Her case had been continued from Monday. Rogers was booked into the Whitley County Detention Center as “Rogers,” which is her married name from “Johnson.”

“Johnson” was on Monday’s docket, and because of that Rogers wasn’t transported to the courthouse from the jail.

She remains at the detention center under a $5,000 bond.

Her alleged accomplice in this bomb threat, Robin Wade Campbell, 25, of Williamsburg, had his preliminary hearing Monday in front of Judge Fred White.

Campbell, free on bond, appeared with Public Defender Jim Wren.

During that hearing, Whitley County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy KY Fuson testified the two defendants are first cousins.

It was also learned through Fuson’s testimony that Campbell contacted Rogers in the effort to get out of work. “He called and instructed her to use (the phone) from (a) sister’s house where they couldn’t trace it,” Fuson said, adding Campbell had admitted promising $30 to Rogers “for drugs” if she did as requested.

Fuson also testified that Rogers actually made the call. “She did say she would blow it (the factory) up,” he said.

Despite an attempt by Wren to have Campbell’s charges dismissed, it was found that there was probable cause to charge Campbell. His case was bound over to the grand jury.

On Feb. 21, a phone call came into the Williamsburg Plastics plant, and the female caller said there was a bomb in the building.

Nearly 100 first-shift employees were evacuated from the building, and bomb-detecting canines were brought to the scene. Both dogs independently “hit” on the same location near the locker area of the second floor.

No bomb was found — the dogs were hitting on materials found in the plant which could be used in preparing a bomb.

Rogers was arrested in Jellico that same day. Campbell’s arrest came days later.