, Corbin, KY

November 26, 2013

Two charged in toddler’s death

Woman and boyfriend arrested for murder of 2-year-old child, Corbin, KY

CORBIN — By John L. Ross / Staff Writer

A woman and her boyfriend sit behind bars today — both now face murder charges in the death of her 2-year-old child.

Trina Michelle White, 36, and her live-in boyfriend, Mark Shane Hyden, 35, were arrested Monday by the Williamsburg Police Department, according to Chief Wayne Bird.

Bird said that last Wednesday, White contacted 911 dispatchers about her child being unresponsive.

Rescue crews took the toddler to the emergency room at Jellico Community Hospital in Jellico, Tenn. — where the child was pronounced dead at 2:45 in the afternoon.

According to Bird, preliminary autopsy results were received from Frankfort. “There were a lot of injuries — significant injuries,” Bird said. “The medical examiner’s report said the cause of death was blunt force trauma and asphyxiation.”

The chief explained the medical examiner’s report further.

“The M.E. conveyed that it was blunt force trauma to the head over a two-week period,” Bird said. “There were very recent trauma injuries and older trauma injuries.”

Whitley County Coroner Andy Croley confirmed the official cause of death was blunt force trauma, but he explained that analysis further.

“The cause of death is officially an acute cerebral edema due to a blunt force head injury with occlusions (blockages) of the mouth and nose,” Croley said.

According to the website for Web MD, an acute cerebral edema is a type of brain swelling.

“Brain swelling goes by many names: brain edema, elevated intracranial pressure, and cerebral edema,” the website states. “Swelling can occur in specific locations or throughout the brain. It depends on the cause. Wherever it occurs, brain swelling increases pressure inside the skull. That’s known as intracranial pressure, or ICP. This pressure can prevent blood from flowing to your brain, which deprives it of the oxygen it needs to function. Swelling can also block other fluids from leaving your brain, making the swelling even worse. Damage or death of brain cells may result.”

The chief said the police department’s investigation continues.

“We know that the mother and boyfriend had been living together for a three- to four-week period,” Bird said. “And the mother recently got a job on third shift.”

On Monday, Nov. 18, she stayed with the child’s grandmother, Bird said. “There were no reports of any injuries,” he said.

However, on Nov. 19, the 2-year-old stayed home, according to the chief. “On the night of the 19th the child was left in the care and custody of her boyfriend,” Bird said. “And on the 20th, the child was discovered not breathing in her bed.”

Hyden was picked up in Laurel County District Court Monday. White was arrested later on in the day.

Both were booked into the Whitley County Detention Center. However, Bird said that Hyden and White were transferred to other facilities for security reasons – the child’s father is housed in the WCDC. They each remain jailed under $500,000 cash bonds each.

The child was buried Sunday.