, Corbin, KY

May 7, 2013

Police Roundup - May 7, 2013

The Times-Tribune


Three injured when car crashes into pond, all escape before vehicle sinks

Three people were injured Sunday in a single-vehicle crash that left the car submerged in a pond.

Tina Nichols, 36, her son, Derek Nichols, 19, both of Berea, and another passenger, Kevin Hampton, 38, of London, were able to escape the 2011 Nissan Altima before it completely sank in the pond, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.

Root said Deputy Mikey Ashurst continues to investigate the crash, which occurred on Corn Cemetery Road.

According to the sheriff, the Nissan was traveling northbound on Corn Cemetery Road when a deer ran across the roadway, causing the driver, Tina Nichols, to swerve on the rain slick highway.

The car left the roadway out of control, traveled through a fence, and into the pond.

Ambulance Inc. Of Laurel County transported all three victims to St. Joseph Hospital of London for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. Deputy Larry Parrott and Keavy Volunteer Fire Department assisted at the scene.

London man arrested after pair of disturbances

A London man was arrested after creating a pair of disturbances Saturday, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.

Brooks Wagers, 40, remains jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center under a $1,400 cash bond for flagrant non-support. He also faces charges of first-degree disorderly conduct and alcohol intoxication in a public place.

Root explained that deputies Larry Parrott, Robbie Grimes, and Mikey Ashurst  were dispatched to a complaint concerning a man who was causing a disturbance with his family on Wagers Road near London.

When deputies arrived, they learned the man had left the scene. Deputies located him walking down the middle of the road, and conducted an investigation.

Deputies determined the suspect was intoxicated, and when he was arrested by deputies, he created another disturbance.

Knox County man jailed in London after crash

A Barbourville man remains jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center after a single-vehicle crash early Sunday.

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Deputy Kevin Berry was dispatched to the crash on U.S. 25 south of London.

When Berry arrived at the scene, he found a Chevrolet Trailblazer with Colonel Golden, 36, behind the wheel, according to Root.

After a brief investigation, Berry determined Golden was under the influence and arrested him.

Golden faces several traffic charges, as well as a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence. Root said Golden told the deputy “his wife may have slipped him something while he was sleeping.”

Two jailed on Laurel County bench warrants

A domestic violence complaint led to the arrest of two persons early Sunday.

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said deputies Josh Scott and Kevin Berry responded to the complaint at a Villagewood Court residence.

There they found the two suspects, who each were arrested on a Laurel County bench warrant.

The suspects were Robert W. Maxie, 53, and Brittany McDonald, 27, both of London. Each suspect’s warrant was for theft by deception, and both remain jailed in the Laurel County Correction Center under a $654 cash bond each.

London man found with concealed weapon

A London man was jailed after a domestic violence complaint between a boyfriend and girlfriend Saturday.

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Deputy Josh Scott and Deputy Kevin Berry went to the Lily Road residence to investigate the complaint.

They were advised the boyfriend, 37-year-old Kelly Goss, was waiting in the girlfriend’s driveway and she feared going home.

They found Goss in the driveway with a loaded pistol in his vehicle, according to Root.

He was jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center and faces charges of carrying a concealed weapon.

Kentucky State Police Sgt. Steve Walker assisted at the scene.

Five arrested by London Police on 11 warrants

On Friday, London City Police arrested the following people on 11 outstanding warrants:

— Carl Nantz Jr., 52, of London, was arrested on several warrants, including a Pulaski County bench warrant for no registration plates, operating on a suspended license, and failure to maintain insurance; a Bell County bench warrant for driving while under the influence, operating on a suspended license and failure to wear a seat belt; and two Laurel County bench warrants, on for flagrant non-support amnd the other for operating on a suspended license and contempt of court. Nantz remains jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center under a $50,000 surety bond, as well as three separate fines totaling $1,925.

— David Hutton, 24, of London, was arrested on two Laurel County bench warrants, one for driving under the influence, and the other for his second DUI and driving on a DUI-suspended license.

— Russell Young, 44, of Laurel County, was arrested on a warrant charging him with failure to wear seat belts, operating on a suspended license, failure to surrender revoked license, and failure to notify the Department of Transportation of an address change.

— David Abner, 42, of London, was arrested on three Laurel County bench warrants. The first charges him with disregarding a traffic control device, third or subsequent DUI, and operating on a suspended operator’s license. The second charges him with careless driving, improper registration plates, failure to maintain insurance and license to be in possession. The third warrant charges DUI and operating on a suspended driver license.  He remains jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center under two fines totaling $1,377.

— Albert Chandler, 50, was arrested on a Laurel County bench warrant for failure to appear.

Law enforcement serving warrants were officers Jeremy Shell, Jordan Hopkins, Jacob Bormann, and Sgt. Randy Medlock and Sgt. Doug Thomas.

Sheriff seeks public’s help in locating car thieves, accomplices

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Detective Charles Loomis and Deputy Brett Reeves continue their investigation into the theft and abandonment of a Suzuki Samurai.

Root said that just before 8:30 p.m. April 29, Reeves was dispatched to R&S Truck Repair on U.S. 25 just north of London.

He went to investigate a complaint that suspects had stolen the Suzuki from behind a fenced-in area and had driven through the closed front gate, tearing the gate down.

The suspects fled south on U.S. 25 at a high rate of speed, according to Root.

He said surveillance video from a neighboring store shows the suspects drove to that store and parked two vehicles there.

One car appears to be a small, two-door blue sports car, the other a Pontiac Grand Am, according to Root.

He said that three females and three males exited the two vehicles, and that two of the men went over to the truck repair shop. While the one man and three women were inside the store on surveillance video trying to distract store employees, the two men at the shop pulled up the fence and crawled under it.

Moments later the two men were seen smashing through the gate.

The Suzuki was recovered later that night by Deputy Mikey Ashurst — it was abandoned in the middle of Old State Road south of London. Root said it had front-end damage where it smashed through and destroyed the gate at the repair shop. The total damage to both the vehicle and the gate is estimated to be more than $5,000, Root said, and that the theft “was an act of mean vandalism.”

He added the vehicle was stolen by “hot-wiring” the ignition, although the keys were in the ignition.

Root asks if anyone recognizes the two vehicles the thieves drove, or the three accomplices who were inside the store, please contact the Laurel County Sheriff’s Office. Callers can remain anonymous. Call 606-864-6600 or 606-878-7000.

Flat Lick woman jailed after gun theft

Knox County Sheriff John Pickard said Deputy Adam Townsley was dispatched to Lick Branch Road to investigate a theft Sunday.

When Townsley arrived, Pansy Reichard told him that Jaime Harris, 35, of Flat Lick, came to her residence requesting to spend the night.

Harris allegedly told Reichard she had been assaulted and feared for her life.

Reichard told the deputy she allowed Harris to spend the night while she went to work. When she arrived home, Townsley was told Harris was gone and so was her pistol.

Pickard explained when Townsley spoke with Harris about the alleged theft, Harris admitted to stealing the gun, and selling the gun, which was later recovered.

Harris remains in the Knox County Detention Center and faces one charge of theft by unlawful taking of a firearm.