TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY

March 20, 2013

Grandmother’s case dismissed in Corbin court


The Times-Tribune

CORBIN —  

By Jeff Noble / Staff Writer

The case against a grandmother accused last month of leaving a four-year-old boy at a Corbin restaurant was dismissed without prejudice Tuesday.

It came for Joanne K. Lowe, 62, of Corbin during her pre-trial conference in Whitley District Court in Corbin. Officials said the charge was dismissed with a stipulation as to probable cause.

“It means that it’s probable because it may have happened, and she can’t come back and sue the police department,” said Major Rob Jones of the Corbin Police Department in a phone interview Tuesday.

On March 5, Lowe pleaded not guilty to endangering the welfare of a minor. She has legal custody of the child.

Lowe was not arrested, but cited by Corbin Police on Feb. 21 after they questioned her about a situation where police said she had left her grandson at McDonald’s on the Cumberland Falls Highway (U.S. 25W) that afternoon. She, her grandson and a group of family members went to the restaurant and left around 3:55 p.m. According to police, Lowe had thought her grandson had gotten into a vehicle with the rest of the family.

Restaurant employees called Corbin police at 4 p.m., saying they found the boy wandering around the property and the parking lot, with his jacket off. A police officer went to the restaurant to pick up the boy, who was safe, and took him to police headquarters.

The search for the boy’s parents went on for three hours, before police were able to locate Lowe.