, Corbin, KY

March 4, 2013

Explosive device found

Three face manufacturing methamphetamine, wanton endangerment charges

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — By Becky Killian


A live explosive device was found and defused at a Canadatown home Friday afternoon, according to Williamsburg Police Chief Wayne Bird.

No one was injured.

The device was found after a probation officer discovered an active methamphetamine lab in a home at 421 Nanny Hubbard Road after 1 p.m.

Bird said the probation officer had found the meth lab and had asked his department for assistance.

When Bird’s officers arrived, K-9 Officer Brandon Prewitt found the apparent explosive device while conducting a search of the home.

The Kentucky State Police Bomb Squad and agents with the London office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were called to defuse the device.

Three nearby homes and eight people were evacuated while officials worked.

Bird said the device, which was successfully defused, was an ammonium nitrate-based explosive.

Two people who live in the home, Lisa Ball and Daniel Moeser, were arrested, as was Jerry White, whom Bird said was visiting the couple. The arrests were made without incident.

All three suspects face their first offense of manufacturing methamphetamine as well as first-degree wanton endangerment. Ball and Moeser were also charged with three additional counts of first-degree wanton endangerment as well as first-degree trafficking in a controlled substance.

Bird said police have been to the home before to investigate complaints about meth labs. The last time police were at the home about two months ago, Moeser had fled.

Agencies responding were the Williamsburg Police Department, Kentucky State Police, the Kentucky State Police Hazardous Device Unit, ATF, Kentucky and Whitley County Emergency Management, the Goldbug and Woodbine volunteer fire departments and Whitley County EMS.

Whitley County Animal Control was also called to the scene to remove small dogs that were found inside the home.

The investigation continues, and more charges could be levied.