, Corbin, KY

July 24, 2013

Monitoring change made in Topix solicitation case, Corbin, KY

CORBIN — By John L. Ross, Staff Writer

A man who faces one charge of solicitation to commit murder was granted an allowance to attend classes in Knoxville, Tenn.

Tristan Hall, 29, appeared before Judge Paul K. Winchester in Whitley County Circuit Court Tuesday with his attorney, Warren Scoville.

Hall was indicted for this charge in June after allegedly advertising on the well-known website Topix that he would pay $5,000 in cash for the murder of Melissa Jones Davis.

The request allegedly included the hired killer would be required to conceal the body.

On Tuesday, when his case was called, Hall and Scoville approached the podium.

Hall is currently released on a $75,000 fully-secured bond with a monitored condition release (MCR).

However, Hall and Scoville explained Hall planned on moving to Knoxville to take classes for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

Court officials told Winchester that Hall could not be monitored from Knoxville.

“He’s charged with solicitation to commit murder,” said Commonwealth Attorney Allen Trimble. “(He’s) trying to get further away from the reality of what he’s accused of.”

It was suggested that Hall take these classes at the University of Kentucky, however, Hall said these classes were only held at the Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee.

“I understand that but due to the alleged allegation we have to have some type of monitoring,” Winchester said.

It was agreed Hall could attend these classes, and Trimble requested he prove his participation in those classes at the next pretrial conference, slated for Sept. 24.

According to Kentucky State Trooper First Class Don Trosper, Hall turned himself in after the intended victim saw the post and notified police.

He was arrested in May by KSP Detective Richie Baxter and jailed at the Whitley County Detention Center.

Trosper said when the comment was traced back to Hall by law enforcement, the intended victim didn’t think it was credible at the time.

Trosper added the investigation took approximately five months, because time was needed to trace the origin of the post through Internet service providers and websites.