, Corbin, KY

June 20, 2013

Police Roundup - June 20, 2013

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — Times-Tribune Staff Report

Corbin man jailed for police scanner

A Corbin man was jailed after police found him with scanner equipment being used illegally, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.

Randy Sizemore, 38, was jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center under a $2,500 surety bond.

Root explained that Deputy Josh Scott was investigating a pair of complaints phoned in by the same individual in southern Laurel County on South Stewart Road early Wednesday.

During his investigation, Scott overheard police radio communications coming from that individual’s vehicle.

Scott asked why he had the scanner in his vehicle, and Sizemore allegedly said he was with a volunteer fire department in Laurel County and was permitted to possess and use the scanner capable of receiving police transmissions.

Root said a check on that information allegedly revealed that was not correct, and that Sizemore was reportedly using the scanner equipment illegally.

Sizemore faces one charge of possession of a radio that sends and receives police messages.

Root added that a relative of the suspect told the deputy the scanner was used to listen to the police.

Sizemore posted bond less than an hour after he was booked. He is scheduled for a court appearance on Aug. 13.

Two-vehicle crash injures London man

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Deputy Robbie Grimes is investigating a two-vehicle crash which happened Tuesday.

One person was injured in the crash.

According to Root, the crash happened at approximately 2:35 p.m. on Ky 80 just west of London at the intersection of Ridings Mitchell Creek Road.

Root explained that apparently a black Nissan driven by 28-year-old Amanda Hibbits, of London, pulled out from Ridings Mitchell Creek Road into the path of an orange Dodge Caravan westbound on Ky 80, driven by 71-year-old J.D. Melton, also of London.

Root said the driver of the Nissan caused the crash.

Hibbits was uninjured, however, Melton was transported by Ambulance Inc. Of Laurel County to the Saint Joseph London hospital with possible injuries.

Both vehicles were severely damaged, according to Root.

Seat belt campaign a success in Laurel County

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said he and his deputies supported the  “Click it or Ticket “ campaign designed to help save lives and prevent serious injury in traffic crashes.

The two-week period ran May 20 through June 2 with particular focus on the Memorial Day weekend.

Root said Laurel County Sheriff’s deputies were out in full force patrolling Laurel County roads, and held checkpoints all over the county in an attempt to make the roads safer for other drivers and their families.

During this campaign, deputies arrested seven suspects for driving under the influence as well as 23 other arrests.

Deputies also issued several citations to violators — 83 for lack of a seat belt, five for child restraint violations, 88 speeding violations, and 415 other traffic violations.

No fatal traffic crashes were reported, and no serious injury crashes were investigated.

Root said that although this increased law enforcement presence was a huge success, and could be intimidating, the Click It or Ticket campaign was not about writing tickets — it was about increasing awareness and saving lives.

Man jailed on several charges

A man was jailed on several charges after a traffic stop by the Williamsburg Police Department Wednesday.

Around 5 p.m., Detective Bobby Freeman stopped a blue Ford Mustang traveling southbound on I-75 near the 14 mile marker.

The driver of the vehicle, 36-year-old Ronald Jasper Averill III, of Lake City, Tenn., had a warrant for his arrest issued out of Laurel County.

A passenger in the Ford had in her possession $1,264 in cash, which was seized as part of an ongoing investigation.

Once at the Whitley County Detention Center, it was revealed Averill was allegedly concealing within a body cavity a white bottle containing 90 light blue, round pills believed to be oxycodone.

Averill was charged with contempt of court for his outstanding warrant, first-degree trafficking in a controlled substance, first-degree promoting contraband, failure of a non-owner operator to maintain insurance and failure to produce an insurance card.

No charges were filed against the female passenger.

Tennessee man arrested by WPD for meth

An Eagen, Tenn. man remains jailed in the Whitley County Detention Center under a $50,000 cash bond after his arrest on I-75 Wednesday.

Mathew Cobb Jr., 44, faces several charges, including manufacturing methamphetamine, driving on a suspended operator’s license, failure to maintain insurance, expired registration and careless driving.

Williamsburg Police officers received a call just before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday from Walmart employees.

Those employees reported that two men left their store after purchasing items commonly used in the manufacture of methamphetamine.

K9 Officer Brandon Prewitt was working criminal interdiction on I-75 when the call came in and shortly after located a blue Chevrolet southbound on I-75 which matched the vehicle description provided by Walmart employees.

Prewitt stopped the Chevrolet after observing it being driven in a careless manner and was joined by Detective Bobby Freeman, who was also working criminal interdiction on I-75.

The driver, Cobb, had no operator’s license, no insurance and the vehicle’s registration was expired. Cobb allegedly began to sweat profusely and refused to allow officers to search the vehicle.

K9 Rico was led around the outside of the vehicle and gave a positive alert.

The driver then admitted to smoking marijuana in the vehicle the night before.

When officers searched the vehicle, pseudoephedrine, lithium batteries, coffee filters, Coleman brand fuel, and salts were located.

Following an interview, Cobb allegedly admitted he purchased the items with the intent to sell the meth precursors to a man in Tennessee who planned to manufacture methamphetamine.

The investigation continues. The two officers were assisted by Kentucky State Police Sergeant Lafe Owens and Trooper First Class Ryan Loudermilk.