By John L. Ross / Staff Writer
No one spoke Tuesday during a public hearing concerning closing Hanging Rock Church Loop Road.
The hearing was held during the regular monthly meeting of the Whitley County Fiscal Court.
According to County Projects Director Amber Owens, Hanging Rock Church near Williamsburg petitioned the county to close the road.
“No one lives on that road,” Owens explained, adding it basically “looped” around the church’s cemetery. “The church wanted it closed.”
The court was unanimous with this decision.
Another road was also briefly discussed Tuesday.
Owens said that residents living on Lawrence Lane in the county have petitioned Whitley County Fiscal Court to include the road in the county road system.
That’s step one — the next step is normally informing the residents of the potential inclusion of the street to the county.
But Owens said the residents know and are all for the change, and that saves the county the step of telling property owners.
The petition was unanimously accepted by the Court.
In other fiscal court business:
— Two interns from the University of the Cumberlands’ political science department are now officially part of the county team.
Owens explained that while internship opportunities through the university are numerous, this is a first that the school’s political science department has done this with the county.
She said the school and the county collaborated on the syllabus for the internship and what was expected of the receiving student.
During Tuesday’s meeting, magistrates unanimously approved the internship agreements with the university.
Students Joe Dauscha and Cody King, both political science majors, will be rotating their duties throughout the various county departments, according to Owens.
She added the internships were not paid, but counted as course credit for the students.
— A budget amendment allowing the county to pay for the Tackett Creek slide repair project was unanimously approved after its second reading Tuesday.
Owens explained that the contractor, Hinkle Environmental Services of Corbin, would be paid approximately $196,000.
A Hazard Mitigation grant covered 75 percent of the cost, according to Owens, which left the county owing the remaining 25 percent. It took three years for the county to obtain those monies for the Tackett Creek Slide area.
That roadway has caused problems for the county for several years, according to Owens, and in 2009 a bout of heavy rain storms battered the already damaged area.
This led the county to decide to pursue a more permanent solution, rather than constant patchwork, Owens explained in August.
By John L. Ross / Staff Writer
- Local News
Body found in North Corbin, autopsy planned
An autopsy will be conducted in Frankfort today (Wednesday), to determine the cause of death of a North Corbin woman who was found outside her home Tuesday.
Corbin man arrested for burglary
A Corbin man has been arrested in connection with the Monday burglary of a convenience store, according to Corbin Police Public Affairs Officer Maj. Rob Jones.
CSX Corporation to repair rail crossing
CSX Corporation will begin repairs on the railroad crossing south of Gray at KY 233 mile point 4.6 (Big Indian Road) beginning today (Wednesday) and concluding Thursday evening.
Winning bids go out for Sanders Park work
Work on Phases 2-4 of the Colonel Sanders Park project was given approval by the Corbin Tourism and Convention Commission, during a special session Tuesday.
Whitley sees another jailer, magistrate candidate
Candidates throughout the Tri-County area continue to prepare for the May 20 election — an election that will decide many races in the spring.
Ohio man found dead in W’burg hotel pool
A man traveling with family from South Carolina after his brother’s graduation from the Marines was found dead the day before Thanksgiving in the swimming pool of the Cumberland Inn in Williamsburg.
Police Roundup - Dec. 4, 2013
A Corbin man and woman were arrested Sunday following a domestic violence complaint, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.
CHS launches online survey
It’s up to the Site-Based Decision Making (SBDM) Council at Corbin High School to select that’s school’s new principal.
Shelter staff, volunteers work to recover from devastating fire
Knox-Whitley Animal Shelter Director Deana Myers and her shelter’s employees and volunteers continue their efforts to recover from the Friday fire that destroyed the building and killed many animals.
Animal blessing to benefit Knox Whitley Animal Shelter
Candles will be lit and a prayer will be said for the animals lost in the fire at Knox-Whitley Animal Shelter during a special animal blessing ceremony Wednesday.
- More Local News Headlines
- Body found in North Corbin, autopsy planned