, Corbin, KY

April 17, 2013

B’ville man indicted for March high-speed chase, Corbin, KY

CORBIN — By John L. Ross / Staff Writer

A Barbourville man arrested in March after a high-speed chase that crossed the Tennessee state line and ended in Whitley County was handed a seven-count indictment in Whitley County Circuit Court Monday.

Marrien K. Prince, 53, received his indictment from Judge Paul K. Winchester.

The first count indicts Prince for first-degree fleeing or evading police in a motor vehicle. According to the indictment, Prince, “wantonly disobeyed a direction to stop” given by Kentucky State Trooper Les Moses — and while he allegedly evaded police, he “created a substantial risk of physical injury to the state trooper and other drivers on the highway at the time of the crime.”

The second count indicts Prince for first-degree wanton endangerment after allegedly manifesting “extreme indifference to human life,” after wantonly striking a police cruiser driven by Williamsburg Police Officer Jason Strunk.

The third and fourth counts indict him for two charges of first-degree criminal mischief. The first of those two counts came after Prince allegedly did more than $1,000 in damage to Moses’ uniform and gun belt. The second of those counts came after Prince allegedly did more than $1,000 in damage to Strunk’s uniform and police cruiser.

The fifth and sixth counts on Prince’s indictment are both for third-degree criminal mischief. Both charges came after he allegedly less than $500 in damage to the uniforms of WPD officers Brandon White and Elijah Hunter.

The seventh count on his indictment charges resisting arrest.

According to KSP Trooper First Class Don Trosper, the chase began in Campbell County, Tenn. and was on northbound I-75.

Trosper said Moses and officers from the Williamsburg Police Department saw the Ford Mustang traveling at a high rate of speed at the 11 mile marker — and he said that matched the description offered by the Tennessee law enforcement.

Officers tried to stop the vehicle for speeding, but the driver refused to stop, striking Strunk’s cruiser, according to the Williamsburg Police Department.

Trosper said speeds during the chase topped 100 mph, and it continued north on I-75 to the 15 mile marker exit, then north on U.S. 25 W.

The chase ended near the intersection with KY 90, where the Whitley County Sheriff’s Department deployed a tire deflation device that blew out two of the tires on the Mustang, which slowed the pursuit to a halt.

Prince, who was the alleged driver, refused to comply with officer requests to show his hands and began to resist arrest.

Trosper said after a struggle between Prince and the officers, he was taken into custody.

Prince was taken to the Baptist Health in Corbin and was later taken to the University of Kentucky Medical Center for treatment of injuries sustained during the incident.

Moses was treated and released from Baptist Health for injuries he sustained during the chase.

Williamsburg Police said officers were aware during the pursuit the vehicle’s license plates were not actually registered to that vehicle. Upon arrest, law enforcement learned Prince was driving on a DUI-suspended license.

There were also two active warrants for his arrest.