TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY

Local News

July 3, 2013

Laurel County man electrocuted while vacationing on Lake Cumberland

CORBIN — By Charlotte Underwood / Staff writer

A Laurel County man died after being electrocuted on Lake Cumberland while on family vacation on Sunday, according to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. The accident occurred around 3:30 p.m.

Kevin Short, 34, of Lily died Sunday from electrocution after the aluminum ladder he was climbing out of the lake on at a private dock came into contact with an electrical cord that had a fray in it, according to officer Chris King of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

“It’s just one of those tragic freak accidents,” King said, adding that there could easily have been a higher fatality count had a family member not unplugged the chord eventually. Short was able to hand his son, who was under the age of 10 up to safety before succumbing to the shock, according to King.

Short and other family members were at a private family dock on the south fork of the lake.

According to King, an extension chord was running from a nearby house to a fishing light on the dock.

“When Short stepped on the ladder, his weight pushed the ladder down onto the cord, which had a nick in it, this completed the electrical circuit and caused Short to get shocked with 110 volts of electricity,” King said, adding that other family members could have easily been killed as well from the electrocution while they tried to pull Short away from the ladder.

“The fact that Short was wet or partially in the water is what made it such a bad situation,” King said.

 Pulaski County Deputy Coroner Dan Karriker came to the dock by boat and pronounced Short dead on scene.

King said the Army Corps of Engineers has to inspect docks every five years and had in fact inspected the dock last year and that the electrical set-up was in compliance.

According to King, Short was a National Guard veteran and a manager at the Wal-Mart distribution center near London.

 King said in situations such as this, it is always “important to be aware of and remove the electrical source.”

1
Text Only
Local News
Front page
Featured Ads
AP Video
Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter