, Corbin, KY

December 27, 2012

Man faces charges following robbery fail

By John L. Ross
The Times-Tribune

LONDON — A London man appears in court Friday and faces several charges after a failed robbery attempt at the North Main Speedway in London Christmas Eve.

Johnny L. Perkins, 33, remains jailed at the Laurel County Detention Center under two cash bonds, one for $50,000, the other for $5,500.

According to London Police Chief Stewart Walker, no one was injured during the attempted robbery.

“It was just her (the clerk) in the store at the time,” Walker said.

Laurel Dispatch received the robbery call at 2:03 a.m. Monday morning. The unidentified clerk reported to dispatchers the suspect was a white man wearing a black jacket, a dark blue toboggan with a beer logo, and was driving a blue vehicle, according to Walker.

Responding officers arrived at the Speedway and learned the suspect had entered the store and said “this was a hold up” and that “he was robbing the store.”

The clerk asked the suspect if it was a joke, according to police reports.

He said “no.”

She then threatened to call the police, which prompted the suspect to leave empty-handed.

Police were then told he left the store heading north on Main Street, U.S. 25. Within minutes, London Officers William Goins and Travis Couch located a light blue Chevrolet Cavalier in the parking lot of the West 80 Shell station.

According to a police report, as soon as the driver of the Cavalier saw Goins, he drove from the lot and made a U-turn traveling into the right turning lane of Jerry’s Road and KY 80, west of I-75.

Goins followed the suspect, stopping him at the I-75 overpass bridge.

When Goins attempted to make contact with the driver, he learned from dispatch the Cavalier was reported stolen.

Before the officers could approach the vehicle, the driver floored the accelerator, leaving the traffic stop.

Goins returned to his cruiser, and with him leading, both he and Couch began pursuing the car.

London Police Sgt. Jessie Williams caught up with the pursuit at the intersection of KY 80 and North U.S. 25. According to Walker, the chase continued for “about two or three miles” through the intersections of KY 30 and KY 638, and continued through the intersect not KY 80 and KY 472.

Just past that intersection, police initiated a “high-speed box-in” and brought the driver to a stop along the guardrail.

He faces charges of second-degree robbery, first-degree fleeing or evading police, first-degree wanton endangerment against a police officer, operating a motor vehicle on a suspended or revoked license, receiving stolen property under $10,000, operating a motor vehicle while under the influence, first offense, resisting arrest and reckless driving.

For these alleged offenses, Perkins received a pending cash bond of $50,000.

Perkins was also charged with flagrant non-support, and for that charge received a pending cash bond of $5,500.