, Corbin, KY

April 9, 2013

Sentencing in grandmother slaying delayed

The Times-Tribune


By John L. Ross / Staff Writer

A mother and daughter facing murder and criminal abuse charges in connection with the beating death of the younger woman’s grandmother had their cases continued Monday.

Michelle Susan Loy, 40, and her mother, Patricia Lawson, were slated to appear in Whitley County Circuit Court before Special Judge Jim Bowling, according to the circuit clerk’s office.

The two women both stand accused in the murder of Georgia Dotson, 76, of Williamsburg.

Loy, represented by attorney Cotha Hudson, had her murder charges reduced March 25 in a plea agreement.

She was slated to be final sentenced for manslaughter Monday, but according to the circuit clerk’s office, the pretrial report was not yet complete.

That led to a continuance on the case.

In the plea agreement, it was learned Loy will likely receive 20 years for both counts of her indictment.

The charge of second-degree manslaughter will likely get her 10 years, and the other 10 years comes from her charge of first-degree criminal abuse.

Those sentences will be served consecutively.

It was unclear why Lawson’s case was continued, but the circuit clerk’s office said both women are scheduled to appear in court 9 a.m. April 23. Loy is expected to be sentenced at that time.

Williamsburg Police Chief Wayne Bird said he knew the family was consulted concerning Loy’s plea agreement. “They were all fine with it,” Bird said. “I think it was a fair offer.”

Dotson was killed Jan. 21, 2010 and found in Loy’s home. According to Emily Craig, a forensic anthropologist with the state of Kentucky, Dotson’s death was caused by blunt force trauma — not the result of a fall.

Bird said Dotson’s face was bruised, which was covered up by makeup.

Whitley County Coroner Andy Croley was called to the home, and said that inconsistencies with the scene there forced him to further investigate. “After a preliminary investigation…I called the police in,” Croley said.

Lawson remains free on bond. Loy remains jailed in the Whitley County Detention Center.