By Becky Killian/Editor
Firefighters from the Woodbine Fire and Rescue Department responded to two 911 calls Wednesday that were made within a minute of one another about a house fire and crash along KY 204W in Canadatown.
The call about the house fire at 3132 Hwy. 204W, Williamsburg, was made just before 5 p.m. by the occupants of the home, according to Woodbine Fire Chief Rick Fore.
A grease fire had started at the stove and spread to the wall and the cabinets. Fore said the occupants were still inside the home when they called so the emergency dispatcher asked them to leave the home.
A minute after the fire call was made, another 911 call came in about an injury crash involving a Ford Windstar minivan and a large round bale of hay that fallen onto KY 204. The driver of the minivan was taken to the hospital after complaining of neck pain.
The Woodbine department assisted with traffic control at the crash. Other agencies responding were Whitley County Ambulance and the Whitley County Sheriff’s Department.
Because the crash was located within about a mile of the house fire, emergency responders headed to the fire were rerouted to different roads to avoid the crash scene.
Goldbug Fire Department assisted at the fire and was first to arrive at the home, Fore said. When Woodbine arrived shortly afterwards, the smoke was vented from the home, which suffered minor damage to the kitchen.
Five Woodbine trucks and one from the Goldbug department responded, carrying 18 rescuers, none of whom were injured.