, Corbin, KY

June 27, 2013

Police Roundup - June 27, 2013

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — Times-Tribune Staff Report

Multiple agencies respond to high speed chase

A Cosby, Tenn. man was arrested Tuesday after leading law enforcement on a high speed chase on Interstate 75, according to London Police Chief Stewart Walker.

Around 7:42 p.m., the London Police Department received a complaint regarding a brown Ford F-150 pickup driving recklessly, traveling northbound on I-75 at the 18 mile marker. Sgt. Doug Thomas and Sgt. Travis Dotson were on I-75 traveling northbound at the 25 mile marker when they received the call and began looking for the vehicle. Shortly after receiving the complaint, the Ford pickup passed the two officers. The officers observed the Ford pickup pass a tractor-trailer in the emergency lane, and continue to travel north in the emergency lane.

When the officers activated their emergency equipment, the pickup  continued to slow, before speeding up and pulling away from law enforcement. Sgt. Thomas and Dotson pursued the vehicle reaching speeds in excess of 85 miles per hour.

Commercial Vehicle Enforcement and Kentucky State Police assisted by deploying a “Spike Strip” around mile marker 35. The pickup struck the “Spike Strip” deflating the driver’s front tire.

The vehicle continued northbound still at speeds in excess of 85 miles per hour.

Additional officers from the London Police Department joined in the pursuit at mile marker 38 while deputies from the Laurel County Sheriff’s Department joined the pursuit at mile marker 41. Law enforcement officials began to setup a “box in” in the attempt to slow and stop the pursuit, the police report said. Several attempts were made but the driver of the vehicle began to “cut over” at officers. On two occasions, the Ford pickup struck a police cruiser operated by Laurel County Sheriff’s Deputy Larry Parrott, the police report said.

The fleeing vehicle continued northbound and entered into Rockcastle County. As the vehicle closed on exit 59 in Mount Vernon, officers successfully set up the “box in” and began to slow the vehicle. At the last second, the vehicle cut right and exited from I-75 to the off ramp. Officers from the Mount Vernon Police Department had the exit ramp blocked and the fleeing felon stopped.

Charles Dukes, 45, of Cosby, Tenn., exited the vehicle and charged towards officers. Dukes would not comply with officer commands and resisted arrest, according to the police report.

Dukes was charged with first-degree wanton endangerment of a police officer, fleeing and evading, operating a motor vehicle under the influence, reckless driving, menacing and resisting arrest.

Assisting London Police in the pursuit was the Laurel County Sheriff’s Department, Kentucky State Police, Kentucky State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, Mount Vernon City Police and Rockcastle County Sheriff’s Department.

Barbourville man charged with sexual abuse

A Barbourville man was arrested on June 23 and charged with sexual abuse of a minor after witnesses called the complaint into the Barbourville Police Department.

Officers responded to the complaint of an 18-year-old man having inappropriate sexual contact with a female under the age of 12, according to the police report.

After arriving, officers spoke with several witnesses who described the crime happening behind an abandoned store in Barbourville. According to the witness statements and the interview with the suspect, officers learned that Christopher Perry Hubbard, 18, had spent the day with several juveniles, including the victim.

Sometime prior to 8 p.m., Hubbard summoned the victim to come behind the closed store where he reportedly threatened to kill her if she did not perform a physical sexual act for him and not tell anyone, according to the police report.

Witnesses were upon them during that time where they saw the act occurring and reported it to the victim’s family members who contacted the police.

Hubbard was arrested and charged with first-degree sexual abuse of a victim under the age of 12, first-degree unlawful transaction with a minor and third-degree terroristic threatening.He was transported to the Knox County Jail.

Barbourville Police Officer Josh Lawson is the investigating officer. Barbourville Police Sgt. Randy Clark, patrolman Clay Helton and patrolman Jake Knuckles assisted with the arrest.