, Corbin, KY

December 24, 2012

Three people arrested for making meth

By John L. Ross
The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — By John L. Ross, Staff Writer, & Staff Reports

Three people now face several charges after deputies found two meth labs in a home Saturday, according to Whitley County Sheriff Colan Harrell.

Jack O. Liford, 37, of Corbin, Amanda B. Trundill, 22, of Middlesboro, and Aaron D. Ellison, 34, of Pineville, were arrested after deputies received a tip about meth being manufactured at Liford’s home on Davis Road, located about five miles south of Corbin.

“One was very active,” Harrell said. “It was a very dangerous situation.”

Sgt. Ken Sheppard and Deputy John Hill, assisted by Kentucky State Police Trooper Les Moses, responded to the early morning drug bust. When they were outside the home, they could smell the drug, Harrell said. “It was pretty bad.”

“They were cooking it up when we got there,” he said. “They had just fired that one up.”

Two of the three arrested came out of the home, while Harrell said the third was removed by deputies.

Inside the home, deputies found the two meth labs.

The three suspects were each charged with first-degree manufacturing methamphetamine, unlawful possession of methamphetamine precursors, and first degree possession of a controlled substance.

Harrell said there was “no telling” how much meth was in the home when the arrest were made. “It was whatever had been in a bottle,” he said.

Officers from Kentucky State Police D.E.S.I. Unit were called to assist in the cleanup. Harrell said the “fired up” meth lab was so strong crews had to wait for some of the smell to dissipate. Crews remained at the scene for nearly five hours to secure the home and clean out the location.

The trio remains jailed in the Whitley County Detention Center.  

Man accidentally shoots self

A 33-year-old East Bernstadt man accidentally shot himself in the leg Saturday as he handled a Glock 9 mm pistol, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.

The shooting happened about 3 p.m. at the man’s mother’s home. root said the man had loaded the Glock and didn’t know a live round was in the chamber. When he pulled the trigger to disengage the firing pin, the gun fired.

Deputy Robbie Grimes along with Deputy Josh Scott were sent to the home, located 12 miles east of London.

When they arrived, they found the Department of Public Safety was there.

Ambulance Inc. of Laurel County treated the man at the scene. He was then airlifted by helicopter to the University of Kentucky Medical Center for further treatment.

Bush Volunteer Fire Department assisted at the scene.

Londoner arrested for child abuse

A London man was arrested Wednesday after damaged a house, knocked over a Christmas tree and shattered glass that injured a baby’s leg, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.

Jonathan C. Hubbard, 32, was arrested after Deputy  Robbie Grimes responded about 9:30 p.m. to a domestic violence complaint. Once at the home located four miles west of London, Grimes found Constable Tim Mays was at the home and had encountered Hubbard.

Both Grimes and Mays arrested Hubbard, who was charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault, with one being for domestic violence and the other for child abuse, and one count of disorderly conduct.

As Hubbard was being led to a police cruiser, he screamed and cursed creating a disturbance in front of his wife and three children.

Hubbard was jailed in the Laurel County Correctional Center.