, Corbin, KY

March 20, 2013

Wanted man surrenders

Arrested for pouring gas on wife, himself, threatening to set fire

The Times-Tribune


By Jeff Noble / Staff Writer

A Corbin man, wanted on attempted murder and three other charges after an incident over the weekend, surrendered to Corbin police just after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Russell L. Knickerbocker, 48, of Corbin was arrested and charged with attempted murder, 1st degree attempted arson, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Arrest warrants had been secured for Knickerbocker earlier in the day, according to Major Rob Jones of the Corbin Police Department.

Knickerbocker was sought by police after he poured gasoline on himself and his wife, then threatened to set fire to both of them last Saturday night.

Jones said Tuesday he called Knickerbocker at 4 p.m., after he was able to obtain the man’s phone number.

“I called his residence and talked with a family member over the phone about the warrants we had out for him on the charges. He came down to the station and surrendered, and Officer Prewitt is filling out the warrants as we speak,” Maj. Jones said around 4:50 p.m. Tuesday.

After he was taken into custody, Knickerbocker was jailed at the Whitley County Detention Center in Williamsburg.

The incident happened last Saturday around 9:33 p.m.

Jones reported officers had responded that night to a domestic violence call on 8th Street. A child contacted police and reported her father was pouring gasoline in her mother’s eyes and trying to kill her.

When police arrived at the scene, they found Knickerbocker has poured gasoline on himself and his wife, Carla J. Knickerbocker. He also threatened to ignite both of them while holding a lighter.

Officers saw Mr. Knickerbocker pouring gasoline around the outside of the house and threatening to set it on fire. He told police that “they didn’t leave or decided to use the taser on him, he would burn himself and his residence.”

The Corbin Fire Department was sent to the scene during the standoff with police. They were able to hit Knickerbocker with a stream of water from a hose they had in the driveway of the house, which knocked Knickerbocker to the ground and ending the threat.

Police took Knickerbocker into custody, and he was admitted to the Trillum Center at Baptist Health Corbin hospital to be evaluated. According to Jones, Knickerbocker had been released by the hospital.

Corbin Police Chief David Campbell, Sgt. Rick Baker, Patrolman Jeff Hill, Patrolman Ken Proffitt and members of the Corbin Fire Department assisted at the scene last Saturday night.