, Corbin, KY

November 2, 2012

Suspect Bunn captured in Corbin

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — By Jeff Noble/Staff Writer

It started Monday with a Louisiana man selling a stolen gun to a Williamsburg pawn shop. Then he led Corbin police on a car chase for some 24 miles.

Now, Thomas William Bunn is behind bars, after being arrested by Corbin police Wednesday morning.

Bunn, 26, of Folsom, Louisiana was taken into custody at 9 a.m. Wednesday by the Corbin Police Department. and is charged on 22 counts.

According to Public Affairs Officer Major Rob Jones, Corbin police charged Bunn with 15 counts of 1st degree wanton endangerment to police officers. He’s also facing three counts of 1st degree criminal mischief, and one count each of 1st degree fleeing or evading police (motor vehicle), 1st degree fleeing or evading police (on foot), speeding 26 miles per hour or over the speed limit, and reckless driving.

Bunn was served with a bench warrant from Whitley District Court in Corbin Wednesday for the 22 counts. He’s also wanted in Louisiana for probation and parole warrants, as well as for stealing an assault rifle in Florida.

Bunn’s presently held in the Whitley County Detention Center, and is expected to be indicted in Williamsburg Monday, Jones said.

After Bunn sold the stolen gun Monday at a pawn shop in Williamsburg, he headed to Corbin. Around 11 p.m. Monday, Corbin police answered a call of a suspicious vehicle parked behind the Days Inn near Exit 25 of I-75. Patrolman Kyle Gray responded and tried to stop Bunn, who was driving a 2005 Chevy pickup truck.

Bunn refused to stop for police, and then led them on a chase of about 24 miles north on I-75 at speeds of over 100 miles per hour. The warrant said during the pursuit, five police cruisers were damaged and disabled. Bunn went to the exit ramp of I-75 at mile marker 41, where he drove into the woods and ultimately fled on foot after his truck was unable to operate.

Laurel County Sheriff’s deputies and Kentucky State Police in London assisted in the pursuit. During the foot chase, two state police dogs tracked Bunn through the woods before they lost his scent.

Assisting Corbin police in the chase were the State Police and the Laurel County Sheriff’s Department. Patrolman Gray is continuing the investigation.