, Corbin, KY

July 13, 2012

Police Roundup - July 13, 2012

The Times-Tribune

CORBIN — Times-Tribune Staff Report

London Police arrest Corbin man

A Corbin man was arrested by London Police about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday as he drove south on I-75.

On the highway at the 37 mile marker, Gregory A. Monroe, 48, of Corbin, was found with about $1,300 worth of stolen property.

Investigation also indicated that he was wanted in Clermont County, Ohio, for flagrant non-support.

Monroe was taken to the Laurel County Corrections Center charged with theft by unlawful taking of over $500 and a holder was placed on him for the Ohio Clermont County Sheriff’s Department.

Detectives Joe Smith and Allen Harris continue the investigation.

Four taken to jail in Whitley County

Four were arrested Thursday at about 12:32 a.m. in a traffic stop on KY 3041 inside the Corbin city limits.

Kentucky State Trooper Tony Dingess was doing a traffic stop.

During the stop, Dingess reportedly found a strong chemical smell from inside the vehicle.

He found an active meth lab, finished meth product, prescription drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Four people in the vehicle were taken to the Whitley County Detention Center charged with first-degree making meth, and first-degree and second-degree possession of a controlled substance.

Arrested were Barry W. Welborn, 31, and Lori N. Welborn, 32, both of Corbin, and John C. Jones, 37, and Barbara S. Leake, 41, both of London.

Dingess was assisted by Troopers Jake Wilson and Dallas Eubank and Corbin Police Sgts. Glenn Taylor and Jason Moore.

Two arrested on scam

Robert W. Maxie, 52, and Brittany McDonald, 26, both of London, were arrested and charged with theft by deception as result of a scam.

Kentucky State Police Post  11 officers, Arson Detective Brian Lewis and Trooper Chris Roberts, made the arrests.

The scam involved a fire on July 3 at an unoccupied home on KY 1228 at East Bernstadt.

The two claimed to have lived in the home and began seeking and receiving assistance from multiple community organizations.

Lewis found the owner of the home who said the two did not live in the house and that it was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

Anyone with information about the investigation should contact Detective Brian Lewis at 606-878-6622.