By Carl Keith Greene / Staff Writer
Jeffrey Sweeney and Freddy Couch were charged in two separate murder indictments by the Laurel County grand jury Friday.
Sweeney, 46, of London, was charged that on March 29 he committed murder by “wantonly and manifesting extreme indifference to human life.”
He was also charged with first-degree robbery, tampering with physical evidence and first-degree arson.
He was charged with the murder of Teresa A. White, 50, of Newby Lane off Waterworks Road west of London.
White died in a fire in her trailer on Newby Lane after Sweeney had reportedly visited earlier.
A second person is also wanted in connection with the death.
Sweeney was arrested on May 28 by Kentucky State Police.
Couch, 56, of Laurel Road was arrested about 10 a.m. Friday, June 1.
He was charged with the April 29 beating of Kenneth Vincent and thereby causing his death.
According to a report from Laurel County Sheriff Detective Charles Loomis, Vincent and Couch got into an altercation following an argument shortly after midnight.
Vincent reportedly had a knife during the altercation. Couch scuffled with him and was apparently able to overpower him, Loomis said.
• Jesse Ray Terry, 37, of Williamsburg, second-degree forgery, theft of identity and first-degree persistent felony offender (PFO).
• Barbara Sands, 43, Versie Partain, 47, Melinda Partain, 21, and Amy Partain, 24, all of London, theft by unlawful taking of the value of $500 but less than $10,000, theft of identity, first-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and program assistance fraud.
• Haston Philpot Jr., 52, of Tazewell, Tenn., theft by unlawful taking of $10,000 or more and first-degree criminal mischief.
• Gregory L. Jackson, 30, of Walker, three counts theft by unlawful taking between $500 to $10,000, two counts of theft by unlawful taking less than $500, driving a vehicle without a license and failing to wear a seatbelt.
• Steven L. Robinson, 35, of London, receiving stolen property between $500 to $10,000 and second-degree PFO.
• Jeffrey Root, 36, of Corbin receiving stolen property of $500 to $10,000, public intoxication and first degree PFO.
• Bradley Garrett, 43, and Robbie Garrett, 42, of Manchester, recieving property worth $500 to $10,000 and receiving property less than $500. Bradley Garrett possession of drug paraphernalia and second-degree PFO.
• William R. Thompson, 71, of Lily, ten counts of first-degree sexual abuse.
• Michael Couch, 42, London, eight counts of first-degre sexual abuse and eight counts of first-degree sodomy.
• Jeremiah L. Moore, 20, of London, making methamphetamine and first-degree possession of a controlled substance.
An indictment is a formal charge by a grand jury and is not a conviction or an admission of guilt.
Two Laurel Co. men face murder charges
Man indicted for sexual abuse
A London man has been indicted for an alleged eight years of sexual abuse of a child under 12 years old.
Police Roundup - Jan. 29, 2013
According to Laurel County Sheriff John Root, the department has stepped up its enforcement along U.S. 25 between Corbin and London.
Police Roundup - Jan. 7, 2013
A London man was arrested Saturday after deputies found him in a hotel room with a juvenile, drug paraphernalia and painkillers, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.
Police Roundup - December 7, 2012
A London man was arrested Wednesday for driving under the influence after he pulled his truck into a private drive and passed out with the engine running, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.
Woman pleads guilty in baby trade
A woman charged with trading her newborn baby for a used pickup truck pleaded guilty in Laurel County Circuit Court Tuesday, according to a court official.
Police Roundup - December 5, 2012
Two London women were arrested Tuesday after it was learned they used their positions at a local dentist’s office to obtain prescriptions illegally, according to Laurel County Sheriff John Root.
Corbin man jailed for robbery
An early morning robbery landed a Corbin man in jail on multiple charges Saturday.
Five face federal drug charges
Five people face federal charges after an ongoing federal investigation into oxycodone distribution in this area.
Man indicted for murder of girlfriend
A man charged in the murder of his 25-year-old girlfriend has been indicted by a Laurel County Circuit Court Grand Jury, court documents indicate.
Police Roundup - Nov. 20, 2012
Johnny D. Brown, 39, of Laurel County faces charges of burglary, fleeing and evading, theft of a firearm, theft under $500 and criminal mischief.
- More Arrests/Indictments Headlines
- Man indicted for sexual abuse